Pampan shares his account of Capitol Hill and #StopTheSteal

Top, Bryce Hudson before leaving. Above left and right, Hudson’s view at Capitol Hill. (Submitted photos)

The events of Wednesday, Jan. 6 will go down in infamy as rioters stormed Capitol Hill hoping to halt or stop the certification of President-Elect Joe Biden resulting in the death of five people, one a Capitol Police Officer.

Pampa resident Bryce Hudson was in Washington, D.C. during the events and shared his account with The Pampa News.

Hudson arrived in D.C. on Wednesday morning around 9 a.m. and found a parking space.

When he first arrived, he was worried there wasn’t much of a turnout as people were spread out across the Capitol Mall until he got to the Ellipse, where President Donald Trump was going to speak.

“Everybody was spread out everywhere at the Capitol and the Washington Monument and I started making my way to the Ellipse and then I was surprised at how many people were there,” Hudson said. “I made my way toward the middle of the stage when he started to speak and then got to where I couldn’t move anymore and was stuck there for an hour and a half. That’s how crowded it was.”

The Trump rally at the Ellipse was a separate event from what was going on at the U.S. Capitol around two miles away. Hudson described the crowd at the rally as excited, but peaceful.

“The crowd at the rally was not hostile at all,” Hudson said. “Everybody was excited and up-beat. 

“But when I left Capitol Hill before Trump started speaking and heading towards his event (on my way from Capitol Hill to the Ellipse) there were bull-horns and I heard them saying ‘We’re going to take back the People’s House!’ Those weren’t the type of people at the (Trump) rally.”

Hudson feels like the people that stormed Capitol Hill does not represent those who were at Trump’s rally. 

“People who go to rallies to support the President don’t bring bull-horns, tactical gear and helmets and everything,” Hudson said. “Those were the type of people I saw heading toward the Capitol.”

Hudson went to his car after Trump’s speech and then eventually headed toward Capitol Hill, but didn’t go near the steps.

“They had already knocked down the gate but I didn’t get on the steps,” Hudson said. “I was on the grass, on the grounds, but I wasn’t (near the chaos). I heard all of the people with the bullhorns saying ‘Hold the line! Hold the line!’ 

“It was well-organized by the extreme anti-government people. Unfortunately, I think a lot of the Trump rally attendees got caught up in it and went up on the steps. In my opinion, it was all started by Antifa (extremist group).”

Hudson said he feels like the majority of those who were at Capitol Hill were there peacefully and wanting to share in their displeasure in how the November election played out.

“I firmly believe it was stolen,” Hudson said. “If Trump lost fairly, that’s fine. But that’s really the reason I went. I didn’t even vote for Trump the first time. But he proved himself to be a man of his word and integrity. 

“I really appreciated him once he got into office and saw what he did. I went not only as a Trump supported, but to let Congress know they needed to make the election fair. That was my main point. I was there to be an objector of how it turned out.”

As the events began to become more tumultuous, Hudson didn’t feel comfortable staying and eventually curfews were put in place in D.C., Maryland and Virginia. Hudson, who stayed the night in his car in a Walmart parking lot in Maryland, returned to D.C. the next morning.

Hudson described the event and said the police presence was impressive.

“I went back down to Capitol Hill and the curfew had been lifted (at 6 a.m. Thursday morning) and, of course, the National Guard was there,” Hudson said. “But I parked and walked to the Supreme Court building and walked over to the Capitol and there was still a barricade up and asked an officer if I could use the side-walk. I had left my car 20-25 minutes earlier and he told me I needed to move my car in a little bit because they were going to start towing vehicles.

“I wasn’t next to my vehicle so, obviously, they were watching me for the last 20 minutes. I thought it was pretty impressive.”

Hudson did a little more sight-seeing and eventually hit the road back to Texas. Hudson doesn’t have any regrets about attending the event and enjoyed himself despite the, at times, tense situation.

“I’m very glad I went,” Hudson said. “The event will be remembered forever because of what happened. But I’ll remember it forever, too. 

“On the way up there, every 10-15 minutes I would get passed by a vehicle with a thumps up, MAGA hat or honking in support. I had more people on the way back than the way up there. Every fourth or fifth car I’m getting support. That was the neatest thing.”

Hudson also liked what President Trump said Thursday night and felt like he did the right thing in his speech.

The Election was certified by Congress in the wee hours of Thursday morning, and President-Elect Joe Biden will be inaugurated on Wednesday, Jan. 20. Trump has promised a “smooth, orderly and seamless transition of power,” in his speech Thursday evening.

Subscriber Login

Login Help

Thank you for visiting our new website. For your initial login to the site, please use the following information:

Username: Your current username (or screen name from the previous site)
Password: Please also use your username as the password

You can change your password after successfully logging into the site. Thank you.

Comment Here